Sunday, February 3, 2008

What I want to be when I grow up.

For someone who is about to graduate in a few months, you would think I'd have a more concrete answer to this question. If you had asked me a few years ago, I probably would have said I want to go into video game design. But the novelty of that idea has grown thin, and while I'm not ruling it out completely, it's not really at the top of my list anymore.

I haven't had too much experience yet, out there in the "real world" that everybody likes to talk so much about. I've only had a couple of programming jobs, and neither of them were very satisfying for me. At both, I lacked a strong interest in the product itself (though I tried my best) and at both, the atmosphere was decidedly antisocial. Like I said, I don't have a lot of experience yet, but I know it has to get better than this!

Lots of people say "I don't want to be just another programmer. I don't want to just sit in a cubicle all day at a large corporation." Or maybe they do, I don't know. The truth is, I really don't feel like I'm a mediocre programmer or a mediocre thinker, and I think I deserve more than a mediocre job. That said, I can't say I have any bright ideas or even burning passions that make me go "this is what I want to contribute to the field." At this point in my career, the most important things to me are to work with smart, interesting people and to be challenged in my job. If I have those things, I think that will be enough to inspire me and I will find my own important thing to contribute.

No comments: